There are two main factions in the multiplayer of Titanfall 2.
- Frontier Militia - Resistance front against the IMC.
- IMC - Interstellar corporation bent on defeating the Frontier Militia.
- ARES Division - Elite fighting division of the IMC.
- Apex Predators - Ruthless mercenary group.
- The 6-4 - Elite pilot unit.
The Militia is a resistance group made of homesteaders, criminals, and freedom fighters. Facing IMC oppression, frontier citizens have formed brigades of "freedom fighters" and "citizen soldiers", literally fighting for their home and safety. Due to the dire nature of the frontier war, many in the militia have accepted the fact that working with criminals and terrorists is an inescapable part of their predicament. Accordingly, much of the frontier is made of criminal groups and private military groups unified towards ending IMC oppression. A standing Frontier Systems Territorial Defense Pact exists which governs the militia and requires mutual protection of foreign territories.
Brigades are assigned specific territories in the Frontier, with some territories spanning entire star systems. The famous MCOR is a sub-brigade of the Freeport System brigade, and is largely made of pirates. Though the brigades, especially the MCOR, are ultimately just well-equipped pirate groups, the militia itself forces these various brigades to function in a singular direction.
After the IMC expanded into space and the initial benefits of colonization leveled out, support for the IMC developing the Frontier declined. Conflicts in the core system, as well as declining profits from offplanet resources, drew attention from the Frontier, forcing the IMC to severely limit their presence.
After the IMC returned to the Frontier, they found the colonists had established prosperous colonies, and had identified new resources and wells. Struggling to meet demand in the Core Worlds, the IMC funded a militaristic push into the Frontier to claim what they saw as rightfully theirs due to their initial Frontier investment. The colonists protested this, and appealed to the Core Worlds, which ignored their protests after seeing the benefits of rising offplanet shipping. The colonists banded together in anger, forging alliances between colonies, mercenaries, and criminal groups, and began to strike against IMC resources.
- Captain Droz
- Captain Dunnam
- Captain Hainey
- Captain Lastimosa
- Cheng "Bish" Lorck
- James MacAllan
- Jack Cooper
- Lieutenant Riggins
- Robert "Barker" Taube
- Sarah Briggs
- Sergeant Blanton
- Sergeant Emslie
Things to note about the Militia fleet:
Pilots are their main fighting force
The Militia made a Titan called the Vanguard-Class Titan. It can use multiple load outs of other Titans, which is very useful. It turned the tides of the Titan war
The IMC, or Interstellar Manufacturing Corporation, started as a small mining outfit, extracting natural resources under the moniker Hammond Engineering. As their flagship product, the Titan, began to gain traction in the industry, greater amounts of resources were required, forcing the IMC to begin mining further and further away from their main resource locale. Fifteen years after their founding, demand for Titans and the industry clout built up by massive growth and extreme profits, mixed with Hammond's market-cornering planetary scanning and survey technology and map database rights, had made Hammond a megalithic Titan of the industry. Over the course of a century, this status as Titan grew by leaps and bounds through mergers, acquisitions, re-branding, and corporate takeovers, turning what was simply a megalithic corporation into a sprawling commercial empire spanning several star systems, with its own economy and military force.
Response to the explosive growth of Hammond has generally been positive outside the Frontier; shareholders and constituents rarely complain about the IMC dealing with the Frontier, as it is a major source of economic bolstering. Additionally, the war effort has created a culture of material consumer inertia, making items constantly in demand, and supplying the core worlds with jobs and an economy that is second to none in the known universe. The IMC does not operate in a fascist manner - all military actions are done through legal channels, despite their unnatural focus on maximizing profits and internal wealth.
- Captain Bracken
- Captain Gates
- Captain Hackathorn
- Captain Riggs
- Captain Vaughan
- Marcus Graves
- Sergeant Messerly
Ruthless mercenary group led by kuben blisk.
Kuben Blisk is the leader of the Apex Predators, one of the most ruthless mercenary units on the Frontier. He will stop at nothing to get his paycheck. To him, this isn't his war; he doesn't care which side he fights for. As long as the paycheck's good, he'll get the job done.
The Apex Predators are the primary antagonists of the Campaign in Titanfall 2. After landing on Typhon, the Predators attack and kill Captain Tai Lastimosa. The Predators include: Kane, an insane criminal who uses a Scorch titan; Ash, a simulacrum who runs Vinson Dynamics and the World Foundry who uses a Ronin titan; Richter, a brutal hunter who uses a Tone titan; Viper, a pilot that uses a modified Northstar titan that can maintain constant flight; Slone, Blisk's right hand who uses an Ion titan with the ability to phase; and Kuben Blisk, the group's leader who uses a Legion titan.
After Jack Cooper kills all the Apex Predators except Blisk, Jack and BT attempt to remove the Ark, with BT becoming damaged. Blisk is then ordered by General Marder to kill Jack, but Blisk refuses, stating that it wasn't in his contract. Because Blisk believes that if Jack managed to kill all of his men, he deserves to join his team, tossing Jack a business card and leaving him to escape on his own.
Gates is a section commander of the 6-4, a freelance unit of elite Pilots. The 6-4 has a unique code of honor; they won't always work for the highest bidder. They want to protect the freedom of the frontier - but on their own terms.
Four members of 6-4 meet the Player in campaign. You meet them in the mission "The Ark". Gates is the section commander of 6-4. Davis, Bear, and Droz are also members. They are voiced by Courtenay Taylor (Gates), Chris Alex Jai (Bear), Yuri Lowenthal (Davis), Matthew Wolf (Droz). an unnamed Crow Capitan that is voiced by Matt Lowe.
The Story So Far
The following events are displayed relative to the start of Titanfall 2: therefore, all dates will be marked with "BTF2" as a signifying point, showing time before Titanfall 2. These dates are all rough estimates.
- ??? BTF2 - Hammond Robotics gains greater stock share as a result of introducing the Titan to the market. The Titan system soon becomes ubiquitous as farm tool, defense platform, and more.
- ??? BTF2 - Because of their explosive growth, Hammond begins to look at expanding their commercial empire into the Frontier, a little explored and mined area of space outside of the core worlds. Hammond deploys a militant arm known as the IMC.
- 30 BTF2 - To combat the rising fascist nature of the IMC, Frontier worlds band together with mercenaries filling the ranks under the banner of The Militia.
- 25 BTF2 - IMC Base Golden is constructed. Their purpose is to research the "Dog Whistle Tower" technology, which emits a noise that repels local wildlife. Testing is successful, though the base is soon abandoned.
The Titan Wars
- 23 BTF2 - The IMC strikes against the Militia in a coordinated attack. These conflicts soon escalate into full blown war, known simply as the Titan Wars, with the loosely allied Militia tightening their ranks in an effort to repel what they view as an invasion. Marcus Graves, James MacAllan, and Robert "Barker" Taube all rise to prominence during this conflict.
- 20 BTF2 - The IMC chases Militia assets across the Frontier - the Militia is outgunned, but still causes massive casualities to the IMC.
- 16 BTF2 - MacAllan takes the IMS Odyssey and defects. He crashes the ship on the planet Troy, and disappears into a new life.
- 5 BTF2 - The IMC discovers MacAllan, and deploys their BRD-01 Spectre, a new autonomous killing machine, to the colony. The testing of the platform on civilians will later be the chief cause of escalated combat.
- 4 BTF2 - The Militia intercepts an SOS message from the attacked colony, and positions its forces to repel the IMC. They help in the evacuation efforts. MacAllan joins the Militia, planning a strike against the IMC. Knowing that Robert "Barker" Taube is being held in IMC territory, they strike against Angel City, freeing Barker and helping him return to arms.
The battle of Angel City was a major turning point for the frontier. During this battle, the IMC flagship known as the IMS Sentinel joined the battle, and was heavily damaged, forcing a retreat to drydock. After docking at Outpost 207, the ship was destroyed by an infiltrated railgun platform.
Hot on their efforts at Angel City, the frontier launches an attack on IMC Base Golden, and steal the blueprints for the "Dog Whistle" towers, known as the "Repulsor Tower" tech. With plans to these towers, identifying the faults, the Frontier attacks the IMC Refueling Facility at Demeter, disabling the towers and destroying a large portion of the fleet stationed there.
With the fleet protecting Demeter incapacitated, the Militia launches an attack on the planet itself, destroying the refueling facility. MacAllan sacrifices himself to destroy the refueling platform, cutting off the IMC from reinforcements.
Two months after Demeter, remaining IMC personnel either retreat into the core worlds or defect to the Frontier. Hammond Robotic HQ is attacked by these defected troops, cutting off the IMC supply of Spectres to the Frontier.
Post Titan Wars
- 3-1 BTF2 - Suffering huge losses and the shame of being defeated by a militia, the IMC begins to rebuild its fleet on an uncharted world in deep space. They begin to design training pods based around Angel City and Airbase Sierra to train against militia techniques.
The IMC launches small skirmishes in retaliation, though they pale in comparison to earlier conflicts. They attack the Kodai Mining dig site, with combat spilling over into the nearby resort town.
Though significantly pared down, the IMC Remnant faces an enemy as depleted as they are. With a foothold in deepspace, they begin to reactivate Spectre production, and begin to research energy weapons to counter militia numbers. New Titan chassis are developed and deployed, and exotic technologies on Typhon are located.
During this time, the IMC rebuilds its fleet, wounded though it may be, to near former numbers. Even with this, however, the IMC had lost 1/3 of its total naval fleet - and reinforcements are not coming. When the IMC loses an asset, it must find a new one, whereas the Frontier can call reinforcements - because of this, the combat is attrition based, and is bloodier than even the initial Titan Wars. 0 BTF2 - The Militia has won back control of over 1/4 of the Frontier, and is based off the planet Harmony. They are stronger than ever before, and are in the midst of Operation Broadsword, an operation designed to oust the IMC once and for all. A new technology has emerged on Typhon, however - and it threatens to forever changed the tide of war against the Militia.